The Glassblower of Murano [First U.S. Edition]

The Glassblower of Murano - Marina Fiorato I was pleasantly surprised by this. The naff cover gave me rather low expectations, but I will read virtually anything set in Venice so thought I'd give it a go anyway. It turned out to be quite an interesting story. In terms of character, the historical ones seemed far more rounded and believable than the rather one-dimensional modern ones (free-spirited artist, inscrutable policeman, hard-nosed journalist etc), but the juxtaposition of old and new worked well in terms of driving the plot forward. I think quite a lot was sacrificed in order to race towards the conclusion though. As a Venice addict, I thought the descriptions of the city itself were a bit lacking, and there was so much more I wanted to know about Corradino and the glassblowing community. However, there was still much to enjoy in this - romance, drama, history etc. In the hands of a better writer (Michelle Lovric seems an obvious example) this could have been a breathtaking novel; there was just too much detail missing from it for me. It was enjoyable, interesting and a very pleasant way to pass the time on my daily tube journey, but a bit of a missed opportunity I think.